
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump warned Monday that those responsible for the kidnapping of Nancy Guthrie must release her unharmed or face what he described as the “most severe” federal penalties, including the possibility of capital punishment if the elderly victim is killed.
In a brief phone interview with The Post, the president said he would want the United States Department of Justice to seek the death penalty should the 84-year-old mother of Savannah Guthrie, a longtime co-anchor of NBC’s Today, be found dead.
“The most, yeah — that’s true,” Trump said when asked whether that meant pursuing capital punishment. “Very, very severe — the most severe.”
Nancy Guthrie was abducted from her home outside Tucson on Feb. 1, prompting an urgent, multi-agency search that has intensified in recent days. Authorities believe the elderly mother of three may still be alive, though they have released few details about the circumstances of her disappearance.
Trump said he personally called Savannah Guthrie on Feb. 4 to offer federal assistance and express his support as investigators ramped up efforts to locate her mother. Since then, the case has drawn growing national attention, fueled in part by troubling evidence recovered by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Last week, investigators obtained what officials described as “bone-chilling” images and video showing a masked man standing at the front door of the suburban home where Nancy Guthrie was taken. The footage, which has not been publicly released in full, is being analyzed for clues that could help identify the suspect or suspects involved.
Despite the gravity of the case, Trump has largely refrained from extensive public comment, a decision aides say was made to avoid compromising the ongoing investigation. Behind the scenes, however, federal resources have been mobilized to support local law enforcement, including forensic analysis and behavioral profiling.
Legal experts note that kidnapping resulting in death can carry the harshest penalties under federal law, particularly when aggravating factors such as the victim’s age are involved. Trump’s remarks underscore a broader administration stance emphasizing tough punishment for violent crimes, especially those targeting vulnerable victims.
For now, investigators continue to pursue leads and appeal to the public for information, urging anyone with knowledge of the abduction or the suspect seen in the video to come forward immediately. Family members have asked for privacy while holding out hope for Nancy Guthrie’s safe return.
As the search enters a critical phase, authorities say their primary focus remains on locating the missing woman alive. “Our goal is to bring her home safely,” one official said. “Everything else comes after that.”

